Monday, November 3, 2014

Privilege and Rights

Today I read and article in the Washington Post by Lindsey Bever that Brittany Maynard, the 29-year old girl who was diagnosed earlier this year with terminal cancer and given 6 months or less to live, took her life yesterday.

This woman and her family picked up and moved to Oregon where they advocate for Death with Dignity allowing terminally ill people who meet a certain qualifications are allowed to be prescribed lethal drugs to end their life and thus keeping their dignity in the face of a debilitating terminal illness.

 While this subject may not be necessarily fall under the class discussion of privilege, it hit a nerve and I think it is an important subject to cover. It should be a privilege as well as a right to be allowed to decide not to wither away to nothing while in severe pain

Oregon's Death With Dignity Act is the first of its kind making it legal for doctors to prescribe lethal drugs to terminally ill patients. If I was told that I has a short time left to live because of a terminal illness and that the pain would be excruciating, I would want a choice. It should be not only a right but a privilege. It seems strange that we can decide to put our animals out of their misery if they are severely ill or injured, why shouldn't we be able to.

The article seen here: Brittany Maynard, as promised, ends her life at 29 by Lindsey Bever. Washington Post

It is a heartbreaking story on what a human's rights should be. It doesn't mean that I could be as brave as Brittany was and end my life in this manner if I was in her shoes, but she did what she felt was best for her and her family and for that I respect and applaud her.

1 comment: